Saturday, June 9, 2012

Link up

I read a John Maxwell daily devotional titled "365 Days of Insight to Develop the Leader Within You and Influence Those Around You."  This is just how I choose to focus myself before whatever that day my hold, I highly recommend you do something similar for yourself.  Making time for yourself before the organized chaos we often step into can help you to remember "big picture" and not get caught up in emotional moments.  What I mean by emotional moments would be; the coaches that may constantly question your programs or change schedules, having things come up during your own training time, getting rejected for a job you thought you would get, having an athlete get injured, not agreeing with sports medicine, or just having "one of those days." 

A few months ago one of the days has continued to echo in my mind, so I want to share one of the points with you. 

"Link up with Others"

"If you do everything alone and never partner with other people, you create a huge barrier to your own potential.  It takes a team to do anything of lasting value, as you face challenges, think about who you can enlist to come along side you." - John Maxwell

My point in all of this is to continue to motivate you all as females, as strength coaches, to push on...strive for more...dig your heels in and keep your head up.  I have had a few of you talk to me about the struggle of being the only female in your strength and conditioning department.  I challenge you solo females to reach out to the next closest school with a female and create a connection that develops to a relationship. with that female strength coach.  Make plans to train together one weekend a month, share training ideas once a week, and then add another to your team.  Link up, learn, and motivate each other.  If you do this over the next few weeks write a comment on who, what, when, and how it is going. 

2 comments:

  1. John Maxwell is my favorite expert on Leadership. Your suggestions are a great idea. We need to invest in our profession by investing in each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey

      I could not agree more... trip to birmingham coming up!

      Delete