Friday, October 12, 2012

Week 1 Days 1-5 of Prep Steps™


Welcome to week 1 of the Women’s Strength and Conditioning Book Club.  This week we will discuss days 1-5 of Prep Steps™, so join the conversation.  Feel free to answer one question or all questions below, but you have a voice here.  Use it!

Day 1:
For those of you who are up for a challenge, you can take the “Values” exercise from Day 1 to another level.  Print the list of 400+ Values found here:  http://www.stevepavlina.com/articles/list-of-values.htm.  Then narrow the list to 20 words that represent your most important values.  From the 20 words, narrow to 10.  From the 10 remaining words, choose 5 values that matter most to you right now.  The third round is challenging since there are no wrong answers and many beneficial options available.  You can do it, though; be decisive!  This exercise is all about you.  Once you have determined your top 5 words, write them in a place that is visible to you daily.  Take several days to process how well your ideal values and your current reality align.  This is a very personal exercise, so feel free to share as much or as little as you wish about your insights.  Did anything surprise you?  What stands out to you from the challenge?

Day 2:
Determining our 3 P’s will hopefully inspire big dreams and aspirations.  Dreaming big, however, can be surprisingly painful and disappointing because we will inevitably encounter failure.  If we reach every goal we ever set and never experience a letdown, then we are not dreaming big enough!  We are not pushing hard enough.
What do your athletes fear?  What boundaries are they timidly approaching, rather than fearlessly attacking?  What is standing between them and greatness?  How do we, as coaches, help them squash their doubts and exceed even their own expectations?

Day 3:
According to ESPN the magazine (referring to high profile athletes), “The more unusual the skill and the harder it is to replace, the higher its price will be.”  High profile athletes are paid mega money because they are experts in one area.  They are not pretty good at many different skills or sports; they are the best in a very specific-niche area. 
In the world of athletics, why then, do we tend to spend more time improving our weaknesses than building upon our strengths? Would it be more efficient to spend greater energy developing strengths rather than correcting weaknesses?  Strengths produce the expert-type niches, those that are unusual and hard to replace.  On the other hand, you are all thinking that balanced strength is crucial for training purposes, and the quote from Michael Jordan (maybe the most high profile athlete of all time) seems to fly in the face of the above argument.
So, as a strength and conditioning coach, what is your opinion?  Should coaches focus more on athletes’ strengths or weaknesses? 

Day 4:
True success requires discipline and balance across all aspects of life.  We see “successful,” but miserable, athletes in headlines almost daily.  All the accolades and money in the world are empty without depth in other areas.  How can we help our athletes find or maintain a balance in all areas of school, sports and life? 

Day 5:
We will revisit goals next week, but are there any other ideas or elements not discussed in days 1-4 that would help your athletes in setting good goals?  Do you have any goal setting exercises or tips that you use with them?

7 comments:

  1. Great questions and I am really ejoying this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is tough stuff y'all! I'm realizing that I have replaced the habit of challenging my self with goals, objectives, dreams and values with the day to day grind. Where is my personal, professional, and athletic/fitness life going? These things have been "who I am" for so long. I had to ask myself after DAY 4...why do I have so many 5's and 6's on the blasted wheel? I'm not unhappy but... What am I going to do to improve those numbers on the wheel? What do I tell a student-athlete who is struggling in school, practice, games, relationships? Suck it up and get to work? No, I would sit with them and try to focus on a couple of those items in the wheel at a time. Would you?

    I really believe in this work/life balance thing. You must have more to your day to day than work. Because I am in a different phase of life than many of you I'm not sure you can relate but rather "gleen from an elder". A few of the things I will remember most in my career (so far) are the following:

    The scrawny freshmen you train all the way through their senior year. You watch them bench 85 pounds the first time and drive up 135 4 years later.
    Praying with a struggling soccer player who came back several years later to tell me "you don't even know how much that meant to me on that day". I thought I was bugging her.
    Collaborating with an Athletic Trainer in developing a plan to get an injured student-athlete back into practice and training.
    Crying tears of joy watching women's soccer win an NCAA first round game only because visions of all the hardships, workouts and conversations came to climax.

    The relationships we develop with the student-athletes are far more important than we realize. We are developing their physical characteristics now but also shaping their attitude about their physique, general exercise, self-esteem, self motivation for their future without sports. For the majority this is right after college.

    I thought I would end by sharing a bible verse I spoke to my 13 year old son about yesterday. It probably hit home for me more than for him.
    Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.
    This is where I'm at! How about you?



    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Narrowing down that list was WAY harder than I had thought it would be. Day 2 brought up some surprises for me. There were some things that came to surface as what I was truly pasisonate about. It made me look over what I was working towards and what I need to be doing to take steps toward those ultimate goals. Self check time is NEVER easy, but its the only way to improve! Don't get cumfy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Day one challenge was difficult. I have always thought about having two different lives from my career and my personal life. After narrowing the 400 down to 45, 20, 10, 5.

    1. Family
    2. Marriage
    3. Loyalty
    4. Impact
    5. Fitness

    Thank you for this challenge. It was very eye opening. Has any one else ever struggled between having three major roles: Mom, Wife, and Coach?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My top 5, in no particular order, were:
    1. Love
    2. Impact
    3. Balance
    4. Appreciation
    5. Open-mindedness

    LOVE - I think you should have love in all aspects of your life, if you want to do things to your fullest potential. Things are just done better when they are things we enjoy. Whether it is love towards the person I'm dating, towards my job, or towards the kids/coaches/administrators I work with, everything is better. Give 100% in everything...or else, why would you do it at all?

    IMPACT - This was definitely a big one for me. I want to have a positive impact on everyone/everything I encounter. Sometimes I even have to have a negative impact on someone before it eventually turns into a positive impact (think about how you had to get on a kid because s/he wasn't working hard enough, and then s/he comes back three years later and thanks you for doing that because it meant you cared and wanted him/her to get better). At the end of the day, we are all replaceable employees, but the impact we make on kids/others may not be replaceable.

    BALANCE - I have to have balance in my life. I can't do too much work and not enough relaxing. My friends, family, and athletes are what matter the most to me, so I have to find a way to take time for them even when there's a ton of stuff going on in my life. At the end of the day, I think it hurts EVERYONE in my life if I'm not able to find balance.

    APPRECIATION - I know that I often don't feel as if I'm appreciated by some of the sport coaches, administrators, etc...but I have to know that I'm appreciated by SOMEONE. I don't need to be praised every day by everyone I work with, but I need to hear it from someone every once-in-a-while. Even a simple, "Thanks for working so hard and doing what you do" can go a long way. I find that most of the kids I work with have this same feeling. Even the kids who do a lot of stuff wrong (maybe their technique needs to be cleaned up on almost every lift) need to be caught doing something right sometimes.

    OPEN-MINDEDNESS - We work with a ton of kids who all have a different story. Sometimes we have to realize that we don't know what's going on in their life, but maybe the things they deal with are the reason that they are the way they are. Maybe the kid who constantly acts out against male authority didn't have a dad at home (not to use such a cliche example). We can either sit down and talk to that kid, or we can just realize that that's part of who s/he is. A quote that I think of when I think of "open-mindedness" is, "Never underestimate the pain of a person, because in all honesty, everyone is struggling. Some people are better at hiding it than others." I think it's important to respect every person's personality, and let them be who they are (unless it's detrimental to that person or the group).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Day 2:
    What do your athletes fear? What boundaries are they timidly approaching, rather than fearlessly attacking? What is standing between them and greatness?
    I think one of the major things that my athletes deal with is the question of "How do I balance all of the things in my life...school, sports, social life, eating right, etc." When I have kids stop during conditioning because they're feeling dizzy, the first question I ask them is what they've eaten over the past 24 hours and how much sleep they've gotten. I'm sure you're all used to the answer, "Well, I didn't get to eat dinner last night because I was studying, and I only got to sleep for 3 hours because I had so much material to go over." Or I'll ask kids why they aren't coming in for summer weights/conditioning, and they say "Well, I'm in class, and I have a job, so I can't make it in."

    I believe that the BIGGEST thing standing between my athletes and what they think they want to achieve is that they don't know how to balance their lives out. They don't know how to be a student and an athlete...and some insist that they have to have a job to pay for school, even though sometimes their job cuts into both practice and weights/conditioning. It's super frustrating to me, as a coach!

    I think some kids also fear losing, especially in the world the way it is now. I know that youth sports are now often designed to produce no loser. It's as if losing is this evil thing that will just completely crush a kid. In my mind, we all win AND lose every day. If I don't perform the way I should at work, then I'm not going to pout when my boss calls me out on it...I'm going to accept the fact that I haven't done enough, and I'm going to work to change it. When a person fears losing, I think they often fail to apply themselves...that way, they can always say, "Well, I didn't give it my all, so it's okay that I lost. It's really not that big of a deal...I'll win next time."

    How do we, as coaches, help them squash their doubts and exceed even their own expectations?

    I struggle with the answer to this question...I wish I knew the ultimate answer that would work for every kid. With some kids, I tell them that I've been through it myself...I played 5 years of college soccer at a top-level program. I know what it feels like, I know that you're hurting, I know that it's not fun to lose, I know that you have to sometimes deal with the petty stuff that goes on within a team...but, at the end of the day, it's YOUR career, and YOU have to make sure it goes the way you want it to.

    That strategy doesn't work for all kids. Some of them need a little kick in the pants...some react to you getting on them. Some kids need you to hold their hands a little bit. You need to have a conversation with some of them...maybe some of them think that no one cares about them, and if you care, then you can turn their thinking around.

    ReplyDelete